So here is what I had to work with:
It was pretty good I just needed a little something for that front and, of course, I absolutely refused to wear a camisole under it. Nothing could make such a beautiful dress look more tacky. Besides the straps would show. So taking my cues my the dress' folded and draped appearance, I went out and bought some satin/silk ribbon. I then folded it and pinned it together like so:
When I checked it against the dress I decided that there were too many ruffles, so I took it apart and made fewer, larger, ruffles. Less is more they say!
I then hand-sewed a simple running stitch as close to the bottom of the ruffles as possible. Sorry, no pictures for this part. The important thing is to make sure not to pull the pins out before you have sewed a part and keep it as close to the edge as possible. Then I laid it in the dress and oriented it so I could have the ruffles where I wanted them. I pinned it and whipstiched it into place.
Make sure you stitch the top parts to the sides of the dress so the ruffles don't flop around. If you do it right, it looks beautiful!
The finished product!! I got many compliments and people said if they didn't know I had done it, they would have guessed it was a natural part of the dress. It only took about half an hour/ an hour altogether and was fairly simple to do! Give it a try and send me pics of your attempts!!!

.jpg)




The dress I work to banquet this past year had straps that I made out of matching fabric. Since the bodice had gathers across it,I made the straps with lots of gathers, too, so it looked like it matched the style of the rest of the dress.
ReplyDelete